The CEED examination followed the previous year’s pattern where it had two parts, A and B. The total exam was for 3 hours, Part A being 1 hour followed by Part B being 2 hours. Both sections have discussed in detail below.
CEED 2018 Part A: It carried a total of 100 marks and was divided into five sections.
CEED 2018 Part B: The drawing section of the CEED test consisted of 8 questions in total. Questions numbered 1 to 5 were optional, each representing a discipline in design. Here the candidates have to choose from any one of the first 5 questions and answer it for 50 marks. The next 3 questions numbered 6, 7 and 8 having marks of 20, 20, and 10 respectively were compulsory for all candidates. Therefore, out of 8 questions given in the paper, a student in total had to answer 4 questions for 100 marks.
In the paper based drawing CEED exam, candidates have to attempt three questions. The questions asked in CEED exam along with their proposed solutions are listed below:
CEED 2019 First Question & Solution
The first question asked in the exam was:
Conceptualize an advertising campaign in support of Indian team for upcoming World Cup 2019:
(i) Generate 3 creative ideas to the campaign.
(ii) Generate 3 creative Tag lines
(iii) Illustrate a hoarding for the same.
Solution: The campaign solutions should be 360 degree connecting print, air and digital as there were three ideas sought. The entire campaign should be planned through its different stages of build up before, during and after phases of the event, keeping in mind that Indian fans, may not be very healthy supporters in case of adverse results in the tournament, which often happens. The entire mind mapping and keywords brainstorm should be also shared on the paper for the appreciation of the student’s thinking process besides the final outcome. Of course, this exercise also intends to increase the viewership too for all the commercial reasons so that interest should also be kept alive.
CEED 2019 Second Question & Solution
The second question had an incomplete motif given to the candidates, which they were required to complete and incorporate it into a design pattern.
Solution: It is important to consider the aesthetics with regard to the continuity and the colour combinations too, hence determining the catch points was important. Also in creating the pattern, one could play with various repeat options like straight, mirror, inverse, brick, reverse etc to create a visually interesting design pattern.
CEED 2019 Third Question & Solution
The third question was a perspective based space design category. It was to draw a Kitchen in details for a 51/2 feet high person.
Solution: It was a personal, closed space which could have been drawn in one point or two point perspective. Besides the technical details of providing the shelf height conducive to the person’s height, it was important to also pre-empt needs and provide amenities/solutions accordingly, making it more connected and convenient. Here, technical correctness of drawing and creative concept both would be equally important. It would be better designed and explored conceptually if one defined the life style and kitchen needs of the person more beyond just the height, which was already given. This would make the work stand out more. Complete communication of idea generation in the form of key word mappings and small description is advised.
The candidates have to note that the paper based test (PBT) of the aspirants will only be considered for evaluation once they make it past the screening process based on the computer based test. The CBT is only the qualifying test, the merit will be prepared only on the basis of marks obtained by the candidates in their PBT.
CEED Exam Analysis 2019 for NAT Questions –Type of questions asked in this section was:
- Count the number of intersections for a given graphic image.
- Gears and ratios - a picture of a cycle given for which the distance travelled was asked if the pedal was moved 1.5 times.
- For a given set of fonts - find the ones that don`t match.
- A question on mensuration for which a cuboid with a pyramid on top of it was given and the height from the base of the cuboid to the tip the pyramid had to be calculated.
- Find the number that replaces the question mark for a given number puzzle etc.
CEED Exam Analysis 2019 for MSQ Questions– Type of questions asked in this section were:
- A Pixelated image was shown, identify which of the rotated figures is the same image.
- Question about photography – Relationship between Aperture size and Depth of field.
- Question about Resolution – question was asking about the relationship between the Video / Monitor Resolution and size of the output.
- Identify which of the following characters describes “Squash and Stretch” concept – Cat jumping, kids stretching for fruit, frog croaking, cartoon figure landing after jump.
- Transparent Rubik’s cube was given, 3 dots shown from the left side view was shown, the same three dots was shown from the front. Identify which dots are correct in the Top view.
CEED Exam Analysis for MCQ Questions– Type of questions asked in this section were:
- Braille puzzles - find the correct pattern
- Count the number of right angle triangles for a given figure
- Match the following given 4 objects to the state of India
- A question on sciograhy / light pattern created on a screen for an arrangement of objects
- Elevation and views for a given object
- Series and sequences - find the odd one out
- Identification of correct anatomy for images given - for the hand of a child and the feet of a lizard
- Identify the correct design for the given palanquin
- Count the total lines for a given figure
- Anthropometry - height of a door latch with relation to a child and adult Logo for parle G
- A question related to colour theory
- The resultant image of 2 simple graphic images when then overlap
CEED Exam Analysis 2019 for Industrial Design
In the monsoon season people use their furniture, doors etc., to dry clothes. Create a product that the helps the user to dry clothes indoors in the rainy season and which uses a fan, it should be lightweight, easy to use, foldable, attracted customers and aesthetically pleasing.
Candidate need to create:
- Four concept drawings.
- Write 10 points highlighting design decisions.
- 3D perspective drawing (should be rendered).
- Show the usage scenario.
- Write about the design in 100 words.
- Understanding the problem and solution finding
- Neatness and quality of sketches renders and presentation
- Ability to express ideas visually
- Analysis and critical thinking of the problem
CEED Exam Analysis 2019 for Communication Design:
The Indian cricket team is going to play England in 2019 in Wales. If Indian team win this would be the 3rd time, design a campaign idea to encourage people to come out and support India.
Candidate need to create:
- 3 proposals / concepts for 20x30 ft hoardings in form of sketches (10 marks).
- 3 slogans (it can be in any language - specify the name of the language) (10 marks).
- Choose one of the idea above and create a detailed drawing (20 marks).
CEED Exam Analysis 2019 for Interaction Design
A mobile company design a device for bicycles, This devices does not have a touch screen, it has 7 buttons, a microphone, a speaker, wifi / internet connection,
Candidate need to:
- Design a storyboard how a 12 yr boy would use the device.
- Illustrate the 3D view and where will you fit it on the bicycle.
- Screenshot of the display of the device.
- Other than this purpose, how will you use the device.
CEED Exam Analysis 2019 for Mobility and Vehicle design
In rural areas people use their vehicles for more than one purpose, like for carrying cattle agro equipment and people from one place to another. Most of the vehicles are not designed for such extreme usage. Design a vehicle to be used in hilly rural areas, which should help carry heavy equipment and machines, cattle. If the vehicle is not carrying heavy equipment, machinery or cattle, it should be able to carry at least 6 people comfortably,
Candidate need to create:
- 4 concept drawings
- 3D view of the final design
- Side elevation which should be rendered
- The interior of the vehicle
- Explain all the materials and design decisions in 10 points
- Creativity Question in CEED 2019: 5 panels were given in which, 4 panels had squiggly lines, straight lines and some geometric shapes. The student was expected to create an interesting drawing including the shapes given in the panel. The 5th panel was blank and the student could use any 3 elements of the previous 4 panels and come out with an interesting type of creative drawing.
- Sketching Question in CEED 2019: Show an interior perspective drawing of a kitchen with the following items - Utensils, 2 pans, cutlery, stove, dish rack, freshly cut vegetables cut on the counter and any two kitchen appliances and kitchen containers from the view of the height of a person of 5.5 feet. Marks will be given on completeness, composition, shadow and texture.
- Visualisation Question in CEED 2019: The top half of an S shape was given, the student had to complete the other half and enlarge the entire image to a height of 15 cms.
Overall CEED 2019 Exam Analysis:
The paper was lengthy and speed was essential in terms of idea generation and sketching. The level of question is ranging from moderate to difficult.